September 30, 2013 marks the reporting deadline for eligible hospitals and critical access hospitals participating the EHR Incentive Programs, in addition to the end of the federal government’s fiscal year and the last day of the 2013 meaningful use program year.
Hospitals participating in the Medicare EHR Incentive Program have until November 30, 2013 to attest to demonstrating meaningful use of the data collected during the FY 2013 reporting period. Hospitals participating in the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program need to refer to their state deadlines for attestation. Hospitals must attest to demonstrating meaningful use every year to receive an incentive and avoid a payment adjustment.
October 1, 2013 marks the start of FY 2014 and many important milestones for eligible hospitals, including:
- The start of Stage 2 for eligible hospitals that have completed at least two years of Stage 1.
- A reduced EHR incentive payment for hospitals that begin participation in 2014 and later.
- A 3-month reporting period in 2014, regardless of the stage of meaningful use to allow more time to upgrade to 2014 certified EHR technology.
- The reporting period must be fixed to the quarter for Medicare eligible hospitals and CAHs.
- The reporting period can be any 90 days for Medicaid eligible hospitals and CAHs.