Immunization leads to better health outcomes, reduced costs and higher clinician productivity
Each year, 2–3 million lives are saved globally by vaccinations. Research shows that being up-to-date on vaccinations leads to better health outcomes, higher levels of productivity and lower healthcare costs. EHRs and other clinical software play a key role in helping clinicians manage and administer vaccines. The HIMSS Immunization Integration Program (IIP), conducted in collaboration with the Drummond Group and Chickasaw Health Consulting, LLC (CHC) under a contract with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases (NCIRD), is advancing the inclusion of immunization-related capabilities within EHRs and other clinical software by:
- Facilitating agreement on priority immunization-related software capabilities that align with clinical workflows
- Enabling software developers to voluntarily test and achieve recognition of their products for inclusion of immunization capabilities
- Providing guidance for improving usability of immunization-related software functions
The IIP takes immunization workflow mainstream
Integrating immunization-related capabilities within EHRs and other types of clinical software will:
- Improve clinical workflow, making it easier to administer appropriate vaccines
- Provide more timely access to immunization histories for better clinical and patient decision-making
- Improve vaccine tracking and safety
- Enhance information sharing between EHRs and immunization registries to measure and improve U.S. vaccination rates
The IIP provides value to clinicians and other immunization providers, clinical software developers, the immunization information systems (IIS) community, and incentive providers wishing to align payments more accurately with improved outcomes.
Stay ahead of the curve – build immunization-related capabilities into your clinical software through the IIP.